A nut free version of a classic holiday treat. Sunflower butter buckeye balls are an easy, no bake dessert just in time for the holiday season.
I absolutely love buckeye balls! They are one of my favorite no bake desserts during the Christmas season. I know so many people who unfortunately have nut allergies so I wanted to come up with a version that they could enjoy too. I’ve noticed alot of holiday desserts are made with nuts and many paleo desserts are made with nut flours. This version is made with sunflower butter, heat treated gluten free flour, ghee, maple syrup, maple sugar and salt. It is sure to be a real treat for anyone with a nut allergy in your life.
What is a buckeye ball?
A buckeye ball is typically a no bake dessert made with peanut butter and other ingredients. It is then dipped in melted chocolate with the top being exposed along with a small hole resembling a buckeye. The name is inspired by the Buckeye which is a nut on an Ohio state tree. This dessert is very popular in the Upper Midwest.
How to Heat Treat Gluten-Free Flour
You definately do not want to miss this step in the process. By heat treating the gluten free flour, you will kill off any potential bacteria that might be in the flour from the processing machines. There are two ways to heat treat flour:
Microwave for 1 minute to 1 minute 15 seconds using an instant read thermometer to make sure temperature reaches 165 degrees.
The oven method requires laying flour on a baking sheet and baking for 5-10 minutes at 350 degrees.
How to Make
First, heat treat the gluten free flour (see directions and methods above for details).
Next, combine all ingredients into a mixing bowl until a thick batter forms. Place in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
Roll out into 1 inch balls and place on a baking sheet covered in parchment paper. Put them in the refrigerator for another 30 minutes or freezer for 15 minutes.
About 5 minutes before taking the balls out, melt the chocolate and ghee on the stovetop whisking them together until combined. Using a toothpick, dip each ball into the chocolate coating the ball up to the top. You want to leave space at the top along with the hole that will be created with the toothpick.
Place them back on the parchment paper lined baking sheet and refrigerate for minimum 45 minutes in the refrigerator or 30 minutes in the freezer. You want to make sure the chocolate has fully hardened.
Freezing, Storing and Re-heating
These buckeye balls can be refrigerated for up to 2 weeks. They can be stored in the freezer for up to 2 months. When taking them out of the freezer, there might be some condensation on the chocolate but nothing to worry about. You don’t want to heat them to unthaw, just leave them sitting out for 15 minutes, then enjoy!
Other No Bake Desserts you might like:Print
A gluten free, dairy free and nut free version of a favorite classic holiday treat!
- Heat treat gluten-free flour by either microwaving for 1-1.5 minutes using an instant read thermometer or placing in oven on baking sheet at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes.
- Combine all ingredients into mixing bowl then place in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Form into 1 inch balls and place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Place back into the refrigerator for 30 minutes or freezer for 15 minutes.
- In a medium sauce pan, combine the chocolate chips and ghee whisking together until melted.
- Using a toothpick, dip the balls into the chocolate covering the entire ball except the very top.
- Place back on baking sheet and refrigerate minimum 45 minutes or 30 minutes in the freezer.
- See recipe and blog for in depth instructions on heat treating the flour.
- I use dark chocolate chips for this recipe and Enjoy Life is my favorite brand to use. The gluten free flour I use is Bob Red Mills 1 for 1 Gluten Free baking flour.
- Sit out to unthaw for 15 mintues. Do not heat in oven or microwave.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 45 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Stovetop/Oven/Refrigerator
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: buckeye balls, sunflower butter buckeye balls, nut free, allergen friendly, gluten free, dairy free