As the fall season is upon us, cozy up with this delicious pumpkin bacon soup. This creamy delight will sure keep you warm and well nourished as the season gets cooler.
Tis’ the season….soup season that is. There is nothing better than a bowl of hot soup for lunch or as a light dinner paired with your favorite sandwich. This pumpkin bacon soup is savory, light and filling. I’m here for the pumpkin and of course, BACON. So get your coziest pair of sweatpants and oversized sweatshirt on and curl up to this yummy soup.
Ingredients needed to make
- Coconut cream
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Chicken Bone Broth
- Arrowroot Powder
- Pumpkin Spice
- Sea Salt
How to make
First, you will need to cook the bacon. I have a great recipe for baking bacon in the oven that will save you time here. You will need to decide if your using a pumpkin or canned pumpkin puree. If you are roasting a pumpkin, you can cut it and place it in the oven on a cookie sheet next to the sheet of bacon. I have instructions below on roasting a pumpkin. If you are using canned pumpkin puree, place in a sauce pan with all ingredients except the bacon and arrowroot powder. You will do the same with the pumpkin after roasting it. Once ingredients are in the sauce pan, use an immersion blender to blend well together. You want a creamy consistency. Add in the arrowroot powder and stir together. Turn on to medium heat until warm. Then, top with bacon and any other favorite toppings you might enjoy!
How to roast a pumpkin
To roast a pumpkin, preheat the oven to 400 degrees. First, you will want to cut the stem off the pumpkin. Then, cut it into two halves. Scoop out the excess seeds and place skin side up on a cookie sheet. You will want to bake for 40-45 minutes. After you take it out, you will scoop the pumpkin into the sauce pan and disregard the skin.
Tips to make this the best pumpkin bacon soup
- I highly recommend baking your bacon in the oven as your bacon will be crispier all over. Click here for instructions on how to cook the best oven bacon.
- Add your favorite toppings to it- chives, cheese, croutons, or pumpkin seeds.
- You will want to use arrowroot powder. Do not use tapioca starch as it will not give it a creamy consistency.
- This soup can be made vegetarian by leaving off the bacon and using vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.
Healthy Pumpkin Bacon Soup
- Total Time: 60 minutes
- Yield: 2 1x
- Diet: Gluten Free
This delicious pumpkin bacon soup is the perfect lunch or dinner to cozy up to as you come in from the cooler weather.
- 2 cups chicken bone broth
- 1 can pumpkin puree, or 1 small pumpkin
- 1/2 package bacon
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2–3 tbsp arrowroot powder
- 2 tsp pumpkin spice
- Pinch of sea salt
- Cook bacon to your desire, then set aside.
- If roasting a pumpkin, cut top off pumpkin, cut in halves, scoop out seeds and place in 400 degree oven for 40-45 minutes. If using canned pumpkin, place in sauce pan.
- Blend together the pumpkin, chicken broth, coconut cream, honey, apple cider vinegar, pumpkin spice and pinch of salt together.
- Using an immersion blender, blend together until consistency is creamy.
- Add in arrowroot powder and blend.
- Cook over medium heat stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and top with bacon or any other toppings.
- See blog post for tips of making this the best pumpkin bacon soup.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: pumpkin bacon soup, pumpkin soup, gluten free, appetizer,
Leave a Reply