A lighter, low carb version of a Mexican favorite. This cauliflower Mexican rice is easy to make, flavorful, zesty, healthy and goes perfect with enchiladas, tacos and burrito bowls.
Looking for a paleo, vegan and low carb versatile side dish? Look no further than this easy cauliflower Mexican rice. This is a wonderful, healthy and easy option for the whole family. There are so many ways to enjoy and a great way to get in a vegetable. Whether you are going to use a head of cauliflower or already pre-riced cauliflower, the texture and taste will still be the same.
Ingredients you will need:
- Cauliflower (riced)
- Tomato paste
- Vegetable broth
- Avocado oil
- Red pepper
- Paprika seasoning
- Cumin seasoining
How to Make
- Rice the cauliflower. This can be done either with a food processor, cheese grater or already pre-riced. Food processor: cut into small chunks, place in processor and pulse until it is riced. Cheese grater: cut head of cauliflower into four big chunks and carefully grate each until it is riced into a bowl. Pre-riced cauliflower: it’s already done for you, just measure out the amount you need.
- Heat avocado oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add in onions, garlic, red pepper and jalapeno. Saute until onions are see thru.
- Add in broth, tomato paste, and spices. Stir until tomato paste has combined.
- Add in riced cauliflower, mix together, cover and let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir occasionally and let cook to your liking.
- Remove and top with cilantro.
Can I use frozen cauliflower rice?
Yes, you can use frozen cauliflower rice. You will just want to adjust the cook time a little longer if you don’t want your “rice” to be too crunchy.
Is cauliflower rice more healthier than regular rice?
Cauliflower rice is a vegetable and is low carb compared to grain rice. One cup of cauliflower rice is about 25 calories and 5 net grams of carbs. One cup of cooked rice is about 220 calories with 45 net grams of carbs. Cauliflower also has the benefit of being a good source of fiber, antioxidant rich, high in choline and a great sulforaphane vegetable. Cauliflower rice is popular for those following a Whole 30, paleo or keto diet.
Can I make this Mexican cauliflower rice spicier?
Yes, you can add the seeds in from the jalapenos to spice it up even more.
You can serve with the following:
- Burrito Bowls
- Taco Salads
Storage + Reheating
Refrigerator: You can keep in an airtight glass container for up to 4 days.
Freezer: Of course, you can freeze since pre-cut rice is already frozen. 🙂 Just seal in a freezer safe bag or airtight container.
Reheating: Place the rice in a stove top pan and over medium heat let warm for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Other recipes you might enjoy:Print
Easy Cauliflower-Mexican Rice
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Diet: Gluten Free
A lighter, low carb version of a Mexican favorite. Paleo + Whole 30 friendly
- 3 cups riced cauliflower
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1/2 red pepper, diced
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Handful of cilantro (optional)
- Rice the cauliflower. (See instructions in blog posts)
- Over medium heat in a large skillet, heat avocado oil. Add the onions, garlic, red pepper and jalapeno pepper to the skillet. Saute until onions are translucent.
- Add in vegetable broth, tomato paste and spices. Stir until the tomato paste is fully combined.
- Add in the riced cauliflower and stir together. Cover for 5 minutes or until cauliflower is soft.
- Remove from stove and top with a handful of cilantro.
- You can sub out vegetable broth for water or chicken broth.
- See blog post for the different ways to rice cauliflower.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: mexican rice, cauliflower mexican rice, easy cauliflower mexican rice
Leave a Reply