This Whole 30 one-skillet dish is made of poached eggs, in a spicy tomato based sauce. An easy meatless weeknight meal or great breakfast option.
- 4 eggs
- 2 garlic cloves, diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, diced (optional)
- 1 can fire roasted crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp parsley
- Salt, pepper and chives to taste
- Dice up the onion, peppers and garlic cloves.
- Melt coconut oil on cast iron pan
- Saute the peppers, onions and garlic until the onions can be seen through
- Add can of tomatoes along with the spices, then stir
- Cover the dish and let simmer for 10 minutes
- Using the back of a spoon, move the tomato sauce around enough to make small circles
- Crack an egg into each circle
- Cover the dish for 5 more minutes until egg is poached
- Top with chives and serve with bread and or side salad
Substitutions: instead of fire roasted tomatoes, you can use regular diced tomatoes to cut the spice.
Extra spicy: Add jalapeno, ghost, cayenne or habanero peppers to take it to the next level of spice.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern
Keywords: shakshuka, middle eastern dish, vegetarian, whole 30, meatless meals, skillet meals,