An ancient Indian pantry staple that is great to use in place of butter for those dairy intolerant. In this post, I will show you how easy it is to make homemade ghee from scratch.
- 16 oz Grass-fed butter (salted or unsalted)
- Cut the butter into 1 inch cubes so that it will melt easily.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, place butter cubes in and start melting down.
- As the butter starts to boil and bubble, with a spoon remove the milk solids from the top and discard to the side. Continue to do this until there are few milk solids anymore.
- Remove the pan off the stove and be sure to do so before the mixture turns brown. It should be a golden yellow.
- After the pan has been removed from the stove top, remove any excess milk solids from the top.
- Using a strainer or cheesecloth, pour the liquid through. This will make sure no milk solids will be in your ghee. You can discard the milk solids.
- Set on the counter and let cool before serving.
- Ghee can be stored in the refrigerator or on the counter top.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Condiments
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Indian
Keywords: homemade ghee, ghee, clarified butter, how to make ghee