As the leaves start to change and the nights get cooler, welcome this fall harvest salad with butternut squash to your lunch or dinner menu. It is packed with all the tastes and flavors of fall. I guarantee it’s a delicious meal that will leave you satisfied for hours. Naturally gluten free, dairy free and vegetarian/vegan friendly.
For the Salad:
- 10 cups kale (chopped)
- 2 cups butternut squash (diced)
- 2 large apples
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1.5 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Pumpkin seeds (handful)
For the dressing
- 3/4 cup cashews
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 shallot
- Preheat oven to 4oo degrees.
- Add cashews to small bowl and cover with hot water. Set aside.
- Cook quinoa following the package instructions, then set aside.
- Meanwhile, drain and rinse chickpeas. Chop apples into bite size cubes.
- Add chickpeas, apples and squash to a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Add cinnamon, nutmeg, syrup and salt to mixture and combine. Bake for 25 minutes.
- Place kale on a second parchment lined baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and combine.
- Add kale to the oven for the last 8 minutes.
- After everything is removed from the oven, make the dressing.
- Dice the shallot and drain the cashews.
- Add all dressing ingredients to blender or food processor on high until liquid smooth consistency is achieved.
- Combine all ingredients to make salad bowl.
- Please see blog post for substitutions and variations.
- Add chicken or tofu to add extra protein.
- Add a little extra water to dressing mixture, if needed to create a smooth liquid consistency.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Salad
- Method: Countertop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: fall harvest salad, fall harvest salad with butternut squash, fall salad