This healthier version of a traditional shamrock shake from McDonald’s is sure to be a delight in your St. Patrick’s Day celebration.
Who doesn’t love a good shamrock shake on St. Patty’s Day? That cool and refreshing minty delight brings you into the Irish spirit. I remember as a child wanting them from McDonald’s and being bummed by March 18th when they didn’t have them anymore. I have recreated this shake to be somewhat healthier. Still no vegetables but a wonderful shake void of artificial or ultra processed ingredients. This version is dairy free but filled with the same good flavor and consistancy that a dairy shake would have.
What ingredients are in a dairy free shamrock shake?
This shake consist of almond ice cream, almond milk, vanilla extract, peppermint extract and natural food dye. I like using Color Kitchen because it is gluten free, non-gmo and doesn’t contain artificial dyes. To get the minty flavor be sure to use peppermint extract not natural flavor peppermint. It will not be the same or as healthy. You can top with dairy free whipped cream, sprinkles and a cherry.
Can there be substitutes?
You can substitute out the almond milk and almond ice cream for coconut milk and coconut ice cream and still get the same flavor and consistency. Since the peppermint extract is strong you won’t taste any almond or coconut flavors. If not concerned about it staying dairy free, you could do regular cows milk and vanilla ice cream.
How does it all come together?
Place all ingredients in the blender and blend until smooth and creamy. You can top with whipped cream like in the picture. Additional topping include green sprinkles and a cherry.Print
This healthier version of a traditional shamrock shake from McDonald’s is sure to be a delight in your St. Patrick’s Day celebrations.
- Combine all ingredients in blender
- Blend for 1-2 minutes until consistency is creamy and smooth
- Pour into glass and top with dairy free whipped cream, sprinkles and a cherry, if desired
- Substitutions: You can use coconut milk and coconut ice cream in place of almond to still keep it dairy free.
- I choose to use a food dye that is free of artificial dyes since this is a healthier version. My favorite dyes that are not artificial are Color Kitchen and Supernatural.
- You can top with dairy free whipped cream and cherry or leave plain with just the ingredients listed.
- The sprinkles I used are also Supernatural
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 2 mins
- Category: Drinks
- Method: Blender
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: shamrock shake, milk shake, dairy free, st. patty’s day, drinks, non-alcoholic drinks